Text-to-order is the next big thing in eCommerce. Why? Because it allows customers to order products and services through SMS messages. This is a huge trend that is growing in popularity as more and more people are using their phones to communicate.
More than 63% of eCommerce traffic already comes from mobile devices, and more than half of all sales take place via mobile phones.
And guess what?
That number is only going to increase. If you're not catering to mobile users, you're missing out on a huge opportunity.
This article will discuss the rise of SMS marketing and how text-to-order is becoming increasingly crucial to eCommerce businesses.
What Is Text-to-Order?
Text to buy comes in different forms, but the basic premise is the same: you text a particular keyword to a specific number, and then you receive product offers or deals that you can purchase right away.
Some businesses send out exclusive offers, and you respond with however much you want. Others permit you to send a text message with what you want and when you want it.
Either way, text to buy is a convenient way to get the products or services you need without searching for them yourself. Plus, it's often cheaper than buying through traditional channels.
The text-to-get model has several advantages over traditional mobile checkouts. First, it is much quicker and easier, saving time for both the customer and the business. Second, it eradicates the need for a separate mobile checkout process, which can be cumbersome and time-consuming.
How Does Text to Order Work?
Text to order is a revolutionary new way of doing business that allows customers to sign up and place orders all through text. This makes the process less intimidating and more convenient for customers, as they can do everything from the comfort of their phones, wherever they are.
All you need to do is store customer buying information under their phone numbers. Then they can place orders through text, setting the fulfillment process in motion without leaving the text conversation. This is an excellent way to streamline your business, make it more efficient, and provide a better experience for your customers.
What Does Text-to-Order Allow You to Do?
Space in customers' texts is a valuable commodity, so it's no wonder that marketers are eager to occupy that space. However, much of text-based marketing still relies on linking users to an eCommerce website in order to take action.
This can be annoying for consumers, who have to leave their text conversations to make a purchase. Instead, marketers should make the purchase process as seamless as possible within the text conversation.
This could involve integrating customers' payment information into the conversation or providing links that customers can easily click on to purchase products. By making it easier for customers to take action, marketers can encourage more sales and create a better experience for everyone involved.
But what exactly can you do? How does text to buy make your sales process go from the days of horse and buggy to the days of 0-60 in 0.003 seconds flat?
We're so glad you asked!
Here are a few of the biggest ways text-to-order can transform your eCommerce business:
- Allows impulse buying: When all you have to do is type "yes" to buy, it's easier to give in to impulsive desires.
- Removes competition: Congratulations. If you've made it into a buyer's texts, you own the conversation thread. There's no competition, whereas other websites or ads may entice buyers online.
- Is organic to users: We use our phones for everything. Since the pandemic, ordering through mobile devices has been more normal than ever.
- Is naturally personal: Texts are personal and historically kept to those we have a relationship with. Using text correctly fosters deeper customer connections.
- Makes restocking super easy: For products that people repeatedly buy, like drinks and food, it's simpler to send a text than to put it on a grocery list and go shopping later.
- Makes trying new products convenient: During a fast trip to the store, it's quicker to go with what you know. Experts can make product recommendations through text at a discount. WineText is an excellent example, selling high-quality wines you might not otherwise know about.
- Encourages competitive pricing: Some eCommerce stores that sell through text use it to offer discounts on products that aren't selling elsewhere. Other text-based companies save on marketing and business costs by selling directly through text and pass those savings along.
- Shortens the customer journey: Fewer steps in the customer journey mean fewer drop-off chances.
As you can see, there are some terrific reasons that text-to-order is fast becoming a strategy you shouldn't neglect.
Examples of eCommerce Stores Using Text to Buy
Texting to buy goods and services is not entirely new, but it's becoming more widespread and mainstream. And that's a good thing!
After all, why should customers have to go to a website or call a company when they can text their favorite businesses and get what they need?
Here are some examples of companies that are successfully using texting to buy to rock their sales:
This company is something of an aggregator. They take beauty products from various brands and then sell them at a discount.
BeautyText sells discounted beauty products from various brands. Those who join get to learn about new products and brands and pay lower prices.
If you're wondering about the text-to-order process they use, here it is in their own words:
- When you sign up for BeautyText, you enter your Shipping and Billing information, and we securely store it.
- We send you a daily text message with a discounted offer for a beauty product. If you'd like to order the product, you simply reply to the text with the quantity of the item you'd like. If you don't want it, you do nothing.
- If you reply with a number, our system uses your saved Billing and Shipping information to automatically place and ship your order.]
In fact, you'll find that, in general, this is the process (simplified) that most eCommerce stores use when using a text-to-order strategy.
Fellow Drops is a coffee shop that sells its coffee in the same way that WineText sells wine. Instead of emphasizing discounts, Fellow Drops uses text-to-order to highlight the wide selection of excellent coffee you can discover through their tasting panel's weekly selection.
This allows you to have a greater variety of choices for your coffee. It also means that you can find some genuinely unique coffees that you would never have access to otherwise. In addition, Fellow Drops also offers a loyalty program where you can earn points towards free coffee with every purchase.
11th Hour is a company that sells discounted food that is on the verge of going to waste due to a surplus of inventory but remains safe to eat. The fast-paced characteristics of text alerts are ideal for products that are here and gone. Plus, a futuristic style fits the better future they're trying to create.
Something a little different that 11th Hour does in their SMS marketing is that it has customers take a quick quiz to personalize their product recommendations. They're also transparent about the frequency of texts you can expect.
For example, they let you know upfront that, "We won't spam your inbox. You will receive an average of one or two deals a week, but you can remove yourself from the subscribers list at any time."
Should You Start Using Text-to-Order?
That's up to you, of course. However, in today's fast-paced world, it's essential to have an ordering system that is convenient and efficient. If you are a direct-to-consumer brand or want to become one, text-to-order is a strategy to consider.
Want to Set Up Text-to-Order for Your eCommerce Store?
If you're running an eCommerce store, there are a few things you'll need to consider before you set up text ordering. You'll need to determine how to integrate text ordering into your current operations and marketing, for starters.
You'll also need to decide which text messaging service to use and how to set up your text ordering system. Not to toot our own horn too much, but we feel you should consider Shout.
Now, eCommerce store text order integration might seem daunting, but it's pretty simple once you break it down. Start by thinking about the following:
- How will text-to-order support my business, and what portion of sales should come from my SMS channel?
- What products will I sell by text, and when?
- Will I send product recommendations to customers, or will I wait for them to text my business?
- If I send product recommendations, how often will I?
- Will I offer other text services, like customer service, as well?
- Should I use automated texting or conversational texting?
Keep in mind that depending on the complexity of your SMS strategy, you may want to consider using a CRM (customer relationship management tool) to store customer-specific data for handling segmentation and product recommendations.
A CRM will allow you to keep track of customers' SMS preferences and purchase history, making it easier to send targeted and personalized messages that encourage conversions. Again, this is where Shout comes into the picture.
Time to Grow Your SMS Subscriber List
There are several ways to grow your SMS subscriber list. One option is to add a form or pop-up on your website. This allows people interested in your product or service to sign up for SMS updates.
Another alternative is to add the option to subscribe during checkout on your website. This is a super way to capture leads who are already interested in buying from you.
You can also promote your text service to your email list. This is a great way to reach people already familiar with your brand and may be interested in SMS updates
Finally, you can add QR codes on your packaging and products that direct to a sign-up page.
Simplify Your Process With Text-to-Order
Ultimately, if you want more sales, you need to remove obstacles to buying. Text to order is a highly effective way to do that if you're engaging in SMS text marketing.
eCommerce stores have been trying to improve convenience for customers for years now. While many brands have made significant progress in this area, there is still room for improvement.
Ordering via text to order messages offers a way to increase customer satisfaction and grow your store. Everything points to it being positioned as a disruptor in eCommerce marketing.
Customers can easily order the products they want without going through a clunky checkout process or dealing with a slow website. In addition, businesses can use text-to-order to upsell and cross-sell customers on other products they might be interested in.
With so many benefits, it's no wonder that text-to-order is the next big thing in eCommerce.